Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Getting Up


I have never been a morning person. I have memories as a child of my sister popping out of bed easily (she still does), and my dad could frequently be heard singing Oh, What a Beautiful Morning! at the crack of dawn (out of tune, I might add), but I have always preferred to wake up slowly and ease into my day. However, as a teacher, I do not have that luxury except on the weekends. My alarm goes off at 5:20 am, and I need to get up after I've hit the snooze button just once or I will run late.

It's hard to get up that early in the winter when it's so dark outside. It's even harder when I awake to the uncertainties and responsibilities in my life right now. If I could, I would just stay in bed and keep sleeping in hopes of waking up to find this is all just a bad dream. If only...

Instead, once I'm awake the first thing I tell myself is Psalm 118:24:

This is the day the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Actually, it sounds like the way Keith Green sang it in my head. Oh, how I loved the music of Keith Green. Anyway, what it means to me is that today is a gift from God, and I will make the choice to begin it with joy - with a positive attitude.

But then my situation - our situation - confronts me with its cold, hard reality, and I feel a bit weak. Who wouldn't? So, I reflect on the strength available to me in Christ, and there are so many verses to affirm that truth. One of my favorites is Philippians 4:13. It's easy to remember and powerful:

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

And then I get up.

4 comments:

Jill said...

My Dad was always up early... whistling of all things! I have never been a morning person - trying to become one since having Amelia.

I have that scripture (Psalm 118:24) in our bathroom, so that we see it every morning.

You guys are always in my prayers.

((hugs))

AprilMay said...

When I sit up in bed, the first thing I do is pray for the strength to get through just this day. My new blog banner reads, "Just for today, be happy" which reminds me to find the joy of Christ in every day. It's soooo hard sometimes, and even more so in your situation, but the effort is what counts! The chorus from "Let the Waters Rise" is always in my head:

There's a raging sea
Right in front of me
Wants to pull me in
Bring me to my knees
So let the waters rise
If You want them to
I will follow You
I will follow You
I will follow You

That's all we can do...follow Christ, even if we do it on our hands and knees what seems like most days!

Calico Sky said...

This is such an important verse and when things seem too tough, a great one to just keep repeating until you are living it!

What time does school start?? 5:20 is so early!!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Such a beautiful and authentic post, Joannah...I can so relate...I have been pushing snooze lately, too!!! And I am also a HUGE Keith Green fan!! Did you ever see him in concert? You are probably too young...but he was absolutely amazing!!! And his music is sooo timeless...can't think of a better way to start the day...what a wonderful pairing...Scripture and Keith Green's music...Praying for you!!! Daily!!! Love you!! Janine XO