Sunday, February 22, 2009

Honestly


I was nominated by Sweet Jill (that’s my nickname for her) for the award above. Thanks, Jill!

The rules (of which I'm breaking a few) for Honest Scrap are:


1) Choose a minimum of 7 blogs that you find brilliant in content or design.


2) Show the 7 winners names and links on your blog, and leave a comment informing them that they were prized with "Honest Scrap."


3) List at least 10 honest things about yourself.



So here goes...



1. I only went to one dance in high school – my junior year Winter Formal. I probably wouldn’t have gone at all, but my freshman year sister was going and I was determined to find a date. I asked a really nice guy in the neighborhood that I’d known forever, but I was not very nice to him that night and I didn’t have a good time. He probably didn’t either! At the time, I thought a dance was supposed to be a romantic experience, and I wasn’t interested in him romantically. I was so stupid!

2. When I worked at Disneyland in college, my coworkers and I would ride Space Mountain after park hours without the restraints. We’d stand up and turn around. Sometimes we turned all the lights off. So, it was pitch black. It was such reckless behavior. I’m lucky that I wasn’t hurt or killed. 



3. Since my husband has the Oscars on tonight, I must admit that I strongly dislike all awards shows. I think they are usually terribly boring, and much too long. And since I only saw three movies in the theater last year, I don’t have any emotional investment in the nominees.



4. When I was a teenager, I put Bengay on my sister’s face. We were playing a game, and she didn’t want to play anymore. She had a sore knee and was rubbing Bengay on it. I grabbed the Bengay, pinned her down, squeezed some on her face and rubbed it in. We were both laughing until her face got hot. Then she was really pissed at me, and I can’t blame her. That was mean.

5. I had a C average in college. I was totally unmotivated and skipped a lot of classes. I did begin to do better after I changed my major from Liberal Arts to Communications, but overall I did not live up to my potential. After I graduated, I worked in the business world for a few years, and I hated nearly every minute of it. So, I returned to school for my teaching credential. By then I had the maturity to put my nose to the grindstone, and I had all As from that point on – even in my masters program. I wish I had taken my education more seriously earlier on in life.

6. My very first job was at La Petite Boulangerie. I made sandwiches and sold pastries and loaves of bread. I worked with the nicest guy there. His name was Jim Gage and we had such a nice friendship. He was kind of like a big brother to me in that time of my life. I just remember him being so encouraging to me. I lost touch with him a long time ago, but I hope our paths will cross again. I’d love to see where life took him.

7. I fell asleep on a ski lift when I was a kid. I went right around the corner and would have rode the thing all the way down, but my mom convinced the operator to back it up so I could get off.

8. My friend Katie and I went to see Ronald Reagan at a rally when he was running for reelection in 1984. For years after that, I carried a picture of him in my wallet. When I got together with Katie recently after not seeing her for many years, we were both relieved to learn that the other was still a conservative.

9. Every weekend when we go to the farmers market, I have to stop and look at the dogs they have there for adoption. My husband always humors me and lets me see the puppies before we go buy our bag of oranges.

10. I hate writing lists about myself!

Instead of nominating seven other bloggers for this dubious award, I will freely pass this on to anyone who desires it. Just let me know if you make your own Honest Scrap list so that I can read it!

2 comments:

Jill said...

I'm glad you made this list, even though it's something you hate to do. :)

#2 was surprising to me! How dangerous!!

#6...you should see if Jim Gage is on facebook. :)

#8...I'm so jealous. I loved Ronald Reagan.

Great list...thank you for doing it!

((HUGS))

Kayce said...

I loved this list Joannah! I love them all, space mtn, Ronald Reagan and most of all the farmers market!