Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Day After Christmas


I'm not one to hit the malls for the After-Christmas sales. We're just planning a quiet day at home instead. I've got to take Buffy to the veterinarian this afternoon, though.

Our first Christmas as husband and wife was a success. Christmas Eve we attended church, took a walk in Naples to see the lights and decorations, and then enjoyed some Chicken Adobo (Filipino-style), rice, roasted brussel sprouts, and champagne. We were supposed to entertain my parents and my grandmother that night, but my dad has the flu or something, so they didn't make it. We capped off the evening by watching my favorite Christmas movie, A Christmas Story. Michael hadn't seen it in its entirety before, so I insisted that we watch it. I had just watched it on Friday with my students. I never tire of Ralphie's quest for his "Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock and 'this thing' which tells time")". Cracks me up!

Christmas morning, we opened stockings and exchanged gifts at home together, before enjoying a delicious breakfast of German pancakes. Michael has been experimenting with his new cast-iron skillet, and trying to find the best recipe for German pancakes on the Internet. My husband is an awesome cook! I'm afraid that I will gain lots of weight from his scrumptious breakfasts. This morning it was waffles. Sigh... So. Good. Anyway, we spent the afternoon with his parents, three of his brothers, and one of his nieces. We didn't get to see the whole family, though, as they were coming later for dinner. We had dinner at my sister's. My poor dad was still too unwell to join us. What a bummer for him. Our most spectacular Christmas gift was from Michael's mom. She got us a KitchenAid mixer! Our kitchen is stocked with the best stuff now! There's nothing we can't do here. The only drawback is the pitiful lack of counter space. Oh, well...

Tomorrow, I'm going to brave the Social Security office and start the name-change process. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Paula said...

We watched the Christmas story too! Love that movie. It seems like every time I watch it I see scenes that I don't remember. Good luck at the SS office!

OziMum said...

Good luck with the Social Security office, if it's anything like ours here... what a nightmare!!!

Sounds like it was a very relaxed enjoyable Christmas! I'm drooling, reading about Michael's pancakes... mmmmm....

Anonymous said...

TBS was playing, non-stop The Christmas Story for 24 hours yesterday - love it!!
Stephanie
forksandchopsticks.wordpress.com

Shelley said...

Do you know how many times we have seen that movie? It's a staple in our household. Gillian now recites scenes from memory.

What a fun Christmas you have had.

Merry Christmas Joannah and Michael.

Two Kayaks said...

So nice to have a man who cooks for you, isn't it? K2 and I are not good in the kitchen, but we both try and that is what counts...right?
Glad that you had a lovely Christmas, sweet girl!

Alyson and Ford said...

Let me know how it goes with the name change. I promised my DH that I would take his last name once we started a family (22 years ago). Never had a baby so kept my maiden name (one of those women's-libber 70's thing I had my mind set on). Now that we are adopting I get to change my name once Alyzabeth is here.

Alyson
LID 01/27/06