Friday, December 18, 2009

Free at Last!

Today was the last day of school until next year! Too bad next year is only a couple of weeks away, but I'll take it. I know I am blessed to have that much time off this time of the year.

Michael received a call from his oncologist yesterday. Dr. K was calling to let him know what this month's CT scan showed compared to August's scan. Turns out that there has been shrinkage of the cancer that was in the abdomen and pelvic areas (liver and lymph nodes), but the lung nodules have continued to proliferate. We are disappointed, of course, but not surprised being that his cough has been so voracious lately. Dr. K wants Michael to complete this cycle of the Sutent, and the next one. After he has the next CT scan in two months, Dr. K will decide whether he will continue taking Sutent, or if it's time to try something else.

Since he started the Sutent this cycle, the mets on his scalp aren't hurting as much. But, he's feeling very low energy and his appetite is off. He's lost about eight pounds since Thanksgiving, and the smaller sized pants I bought him last month are now too big. UGH! The weight loss is one of the things that concerns me the most. It suggests active disease, and that isn't good.

On Sunday, we are going to head out to Las Vegas for a few days to celebrate my birthday. We got a super reasonable rate at the Encore, complimentary tickets to see LOVE., and deeply discounted tickets to see O. The tickets are thanks to a good friend of Michael's. The only show I've ever seen in Las Vegas is Michael's boss's show, and I've never seen a Cirque du Soleil show, so I'm really excited! I just hope Michael is feeling up to it. I was willing to cancel our plans, but he won't let me.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to spending time together and with our friends and family in the next two weeks!

9 comments:

MomMom said...

Joannah, I'm sorry you didn't get the BEST news about Michael, but glad you're going on with your trip. Try to relax and enjoy your two weeks off. Merry Christmas! Linda

AprilMay said...

Yay! Enjoy the time with your loved ones, and MERRY CHRISTMAS! :)

Elaine said...

I'm sorry that your news wasn't better. I'm still covering you both in my prayers. Go to Vegas and have a fabulous time together. Sending you hugs!

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

Congratulations on making it to your two week vacation! Sorry that you didn't get the news you were hoping for with Michael, but glad that there is a plan of action that seems reasonable. Have fun in Vegas!

M3 said...

I'm so sorry the news wasn't all good. :-(

Glad you get to enjoy yourselves in Vegas -- have a wonderful time at the shows. We just got tix to take the girls to see the cirque when it comes to our area. They're so excited.

fuzzandfuzzlet said...

I am sorry the news was not better. I hope you both have a great time in Vegas!

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Oh, I'm so very sorry about the lungs, and weight loss...I will continue to pray like crazy...Enjoy your well earned Christmas break!!!! And have a fabulous time together in Vegas!!! Love you, Janine XO

Alyson and Ford said...

The news sounds promising... hoping for the best.Enjoy your vacation!
Merry Christmas!

Alyzabeth's Mommy

dawn said...

Merry Christmas.