Thursday, May 29, 2008

Bullets

* Eleven days of school left - thank goodness! My students' behavior is deteriorating by the day. Not only do they have spring fever, they also have an unusually high interest in one another. Yuck! I hate pre-preteen flirting! I sent two of them to the office today. I am done with their shenanigans.

* I have talked my husband into starting an online bookstore. We'll be selling used books via Amazon. After school, I discovered the joy of shopping for books for our store at Goodwill. They had tons of books! Who knew? I found a couple of gems that I should be able to make quite a profit on, and several books that turned out to be worth far less than I hoped they would be, but it's a learning experience. I'm reading a couple books about the business, and I hope I'll get better at recognizing the valuable ones from the not-so-valuable ones as I learn more.

* Buffy bit my coworker yesterday. I still feel horrible about it. Michael came to pick me up after school (my car was at the dealer's), and he brought Buffy with him. My coworker made the mistake of looking Buffy in the eye and bending down to put her face in Buffy's face. Buffy tensed up and nipped C on the bridge of the nose - drawing blood! I could tell that Buffy was nervous, and I sensed she was going to do something a split second before she did, but I couldn't react quickly enough - especially since I wasn't holding her leash (Michael was). C has been very gracious about the whole thing and she says she should have known better, but that Buffy was just so cute. Friends, when you encounter a dog you don't know, take Cesar Millan's advice: No touch, no talk, no eye contact. Wait until the dog is calm and the dog approaches you, then you can let them smell you. Dogs can be unpredictable.

* Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday!

9 comments:

Lisa and Tate said...

Soon this school year will just be a memory.....

Cool that you can find great books and resale.

Yikes to Buffy biting,. Mesa was attacked at the dog park today for the first time.... timid pup that she is she just laid on her back and cried like a baby... Only her sweet spirit was hurt... no blood.

Shelley said...

Ugh! That was one of my biggest fears with having a dog - that they might bite someone. And even now I always tell my girls never to just run up to a dog ...no matter how cute they look. Easier said that done though. They love dogs.

Yes - Summer's almost here! We had our Open House last night and it was great. It's amazing to that each year ...at this milestone ...my kid looks so much older. How does that seem to happen over night?

Cool idea on the bookstore. Always good to have other things in the works that produce income. Especially if they are enjoyable.

Sandra said...

It's hard to believe that another school year is over :-(

Great idea on the online book store!

Special K said...

I went to my nephew's 4th grade graduation last night. There was one little girl wearing stiletto heels. I mean like stripper shoes ...black with a pointy silver heel. And one in an ankle length prom type dress with a split up above her knee with heels.

What the....????? These kids are 10yrs old!! Who let's their kids dress like that? I was shocked and amazed. LOL!

Tori said...

I hear ya J....

Hang in there with the bratty class, the new boy, the dreadful parents, the shitty system, the bitey dog (though not his fault it's true!!!!), the traveling husband and all manner of things that are irking you. Its nearly the summer where you can potter about in your garden and bake a baby or two!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your dog, hope your co worker will be okay.

Looking forward to hearing about your great summer.

Kayce said...

Yeah on the end of school! You so deserve a wonderful, relaxing summer vaca! I'm looking forward to what you've got for sale in your book store.

AprilMay said...

Great idea about the books! I was at Goodwill and saw a man really going through the books...I knew what he was doing! He had a blackberry and would check the value of each one on that before adding them to his cart. Might be an investment in the long run...
I talked with him a bit. He said Amazon is definitely better than ebay for books. Good luck! I can't do it myself because that guy will take up all the good books in my small town, LOL! Don't forget to hit some garage sales for books this summer!

Paula said...

Glad the year is almost over for you and you have your vacation to look forward to.
Thats a bummer about the dog bite. Good thing it was your friend. One time our dog nipped the UPS man. Luckily it didn't break the skin and the driver didn't do anything about it.